By Philip Schaff
8 quantity sequence. therefore Tertullian tells of a firm of Christians in Ephesus, who begged martyrdom from the heathen governor, yet after a couple of have been done, the remaining have been despatched away through him with the phrases: "Miserable creatures, for those who fairly desire to die, you might have precipices and halters enough." notwithstanding this mistake was once some distance much less discreditable than the other severe of the cowardly worry of guy, but it used to be opposite to the guide and the instance of Christ and the apostles,6 three and to the spirit of real martyrdom, which is composed within the union of honest humility and tool, and possesses divine energy within the very cognizance of human weak spot.
Read Online or Download Ante-Nicene Christianity: History Of The Christian Church Volume II PDF
Best church history books
Papers provided on the 12th overseas convention on Patristic reports held in Oxford 1995 (see additionally Studia Patristica 29, 31, 32 and 33). The successive units of Studia Patristica comprise papers added on the overseas meetings on Patristic reviews, which meet for every week as soon as each 4 years in Oxford; they're held below the aegis of the Theology school of the collage.
Papers offered on the 12th overseas convention on Patristic experiences held in Oxford 1995 (see additionally Studia Patristica 29, 30, 31 and 33). The successive units of Studia Patristica comprise papers brought on the foreign meetings on Patristic stories, which meet for per week as soon as each 4 years in Oxford; they're held below the aegis of the Theology college of the college.
'. .. a masterly learn. ' Alister McGrath, Theological booklet overview '. .. a greatest learn. ' J. J. Scarisbrick, TLS '. .. profound, witty. .. of colossal worth. ' David Loades, background at the present time Historians have regularly recognized that the English Reformation was once greater than an easy swap of spiritual trust and perform.
- The Northern Crusades: Second Edition
- Wörterbuch der griechischen Wörter in den koptischen dokumentarischen Texten
- A Profusion of Spires: Religion in Nineteenth-Century Ontario
- Mystery unveiled : the crisis of the Trinity in early modern England
- Knights of Christ
Extra info for Ante-Nicene Christianity: History Of The Christian Church Volume II
4. His letter to Florinus in Euseb. v. 20. Polycrates of Ephesus (c. 190), in Euseb. v. 24. On the date of Polycarp’s death: Waddington: Mémoire sur la chronologie de la vie du rhéteur Aelius Aristide (in "Mém. de l’ Acad: des inscript. et belles letters," Tom. XXVI. Part II. 1867, pp. ), and in Fastes des provinces Asiatiques, 1872, 219 sqq. Wieseler: Das Martyrium Polykarp’s und dessen Chronologie, in his Christenverfolgungen, etc. (1878), 3 87. Keim: Die Zwölf Märtyrer von Smyrna und der Tod des Bishops Polykarp, in his Aus dem Urchristenthum (1878), 92–133.
But a more credible statement is, that the Christian teacher Pantaeus of Alexandria journeyed to that country about 190, and that in the fourth century churches were found there. The transfer of the seat of power from Rome to Constantinople, and the founding of the East Roman empire under Constantine I. gave to Asia Minor, and especially to Constantinople, a commanding importance in the history of the Church for several centuries. The seven oecumenical Councils from 325 to 787 were all held in that city or its neighborhood, and the doctrinal controversies on the Trinity and the person of Christ were carried on chiefly in Asia Minor, Syria, and Egypt.
Fr. W. Gass: Das christl. Märtyrerthum in den ersten Jahrhunderten. 1859–60 (in Niedner’s "Zeitschrift für Hist. " for 1859, pp. 323–392, and 1860, pp. 315–381). F. Overbeck: Gesetze der röm. Kaiser gegen die Christen, in his Studien zur Gesch. der alten Kirche, I. Chemn. 1875. B. Aubé: Histoire des persécutions de l’église jusqu’ à la fin des Antonins. 2nd ed. Paris 1875 (Crowned by the Académie française). By the same: Histoire des persécutions de l’église, La polémique paÿenne à la fin du II.